Monday 12 July 2010

black and white.

at 20:19

Part 1: White

First of, it's started of with a white . A white coat if u may. i wore a head to toe bright smile white. It's supposed to be a summer holiday now, and from this summer on, we're obligated to do practical training. This very particular year, and onwards. 3 weeks this year, 4 weeks next, and well, you get the idea..i practically finished mine..Alhamdulillah..I'm not saying i got all the training needed, but i got the chance to observe some basic neurological examination in which im going to dig more in next year.Hopefully.

I reached home and finally let go off my white outfit.

---------------------------------END OF PART 1------------------------------

Part 2: Black.

He was the first Czech person i knew. He too, was the first Czech person that i shake hand with. My early admission here to this very university is a mess. I had one hell of a time deciding which to opt for and which to let go. I choose not to come here. I wrote that letter of rejection. And, as you can see, my letter of rejection got rejected.

It was Sunday somewhere in May 2007. There it was, my name on the list on the board that we all constantly checking and fear. The interview was at 10.00 a.m , the list wasn't out until about 9.00 a.m and the next day it's final IB math HL. What more can i say. Torn between last minute prep and the interview that might secure me to med school, i opt for the latter. I never like math anyway, so whatever.

There he was sitting behind the table in silence. Trust me, not a word. So, i decided to break the awkward silence. I talked n talked, but still, no response. Until I've come to a point telling myself, maybe, math is not such a bad idea.

He said thanks, we shake hand, and I left the room.

I have to say, he too, ruined my very first winter. It was a white blanket snow outside, softly touched drizzle. To see such view for the first time is a blessed. It is a virgin white beauty to the eye. But all i can afford to do was sit on my chair with a mug alternatingly filled with hot cocoa and coffee.He made chemistry the hardest hurdle we all have to jump.

It doesn't end there. We met again the very next year. Biochemistry was another story. Never not once he started his class without a test.A hard long answer question test. Not for the lesson of the day, but we need to dig back those chem book from first year and study them all over again. Those things that we teach you last year wasn't meant to be forgotten, he said. In the middle of the experiment, he will call us one by one by name and sort of 'discuss' the mistakes we made for the last week's test. Telling us what a catastrophic error we made by not putting the unit of the measurement. How a wrong position of -OH branched is a fatal blunt, or how absurd it is for us to become a doctor without knowing how estrogen chemical structure looks like.And yes, In front of everyone.. Oh, did i mention it's a 3 hour class started at 730 in the morning?What nice way to start a day, huh?

I have to admit, he wasn't really my favorite. But somehow, beneath all the constant fear and disappointment(of failing his test over and over), I owe him a lot. He earned my utmost respect. People can like him or hate him, but his words cannot be ignored.

He made it hard in the very beginning of med school, so that now, we are on the right momentum of studying.
He made it so hard to pass but when passing it, the feeling is indescribable.
He made it hard, but now the other things that follows seems doable.

Dear prof Jaroslav Vicar,
You trained us well, now you can Rest in Peace.

And (in that black dress), i left the stone..


------------------------------THE END OF PART 2----------------------------




0 comments:

Post a Comment

your say?

 

pinkwallredfloOr Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos