Friday 16 July 2010

let's get intimate - (part 1)

at 23:36

I think it's time for me to get intimate. With you. Let me start by telling you what i love to do. What i am not, what i want to become, what are my hopes and dreams.

I hope, I'll have enough time and space, to peel it down one by one for you.

But for now, let's take a small step. Let's talk about me and my food. I've never cooked, not before here. I'd always think that cooking is nothing but an open option. You can choose to, and of course you can choose not to. Until you've come to point where you have no other option but to. That point, even so, come earlier than i thought it would be.

Just this evening, i was again in caught in a never ending internal battle of what to eat, thus, what to cook. I stood there for a long while gazing at my empty fridge, not knowing which way to move.

I really don't know how to put this correctly, but i think i've come to a saturation point. It was my own intelligent idea in the very beginning, believing that spending a little while lo
nger here in summer until you're done with exams won't make a huge different. Either way, I'll still be left alone.

Food brings people together. Food too, tear people apart. I've read somewhere that for prisoners, it's often food that stimulates their imaginations and sends them off on a mental journey. they can see it, touch it, taste it even smell it vividly in their mind's eye.

For people who left their homeland, a whole lot of them lost their customs, lost their languages, but they never lost their food, or at least that is the last thing to go.

Maybe that's why we spent hundreds of Ringgit each year shipping boxes and boxes of spices and coconut milk powder, or even soy sauce all the way from home to this foreign land.

I can share with you, a few snaps of what an amateurish cook i am.

(Please, don't be fooled by the fancy lighting).


0 comments:

Post a Comment

your say?

 

pinkwallredfloOr Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos