Tuesday 10 January 2012

An early affinity.

at 21:29

The only thing i love more than a good read, is a good screenplay writing. Shonda Rhimes, is definitely on top of the list. I didn't know how she did what she did, but even over times, the stories still end with a palpable impact.

I started watching Grey's Anatomy even before i went to med school. I watch each season several times, I memorize the line, I quote from it every so often, I know the character so well should there be a quiz on it I'm sure I'll aced it. I learn the fancy medical terms like intubate, epi (short for epinephrine) even before i open my first anatomy book. My classmates were already tired from rolling their eyes whenever I associate our doctors/teachers with the casts from the shows.

The main opening soundtrack had been my ringtone for a while and the so was the other songs.When i got the chance to scrub in and assist an operation for the first time, you can imagine how excited I was.

It also occur to me how surprisingly familiar, as if I've been there already, so many times. I did, in fact, virtually.

At the end of 2 long weeks of endless suctions and cramping from holding clamps, one of the senior scrub nurse who's been there all along, told me that I was one of the best student they had in their OR specifically because of how well I behave and carry myself in the OR. I feel like hugging her sterile scrubs and told her that well, thank you for acknowledging my effort of endless obsession towards (according to some people), nothing more than just a soapy TV drama. Even my job really is the lowest of the surgical food chain, it means a lot to me coming from someone so strict and serious, who's been practically living in the OR for so long.

Having said that, I notice and of course, agree, that in real life hospital, not so much drama going on, no, patient don't code on hourly basis, nor that i saw many died on the operation table. But it does gives me a glimpse of hint of what could have happen and how to react when facing the situation that can drag you down emotionally, or even the amount of stress and knowledge you should handle and have to in order for both you and your patient to survive.

In May 2007, Rhimes was named one of the Time Magazine's as Time 100 people who help shape the world. I don't know about that, but she does surely shaped mine.










Till then!
>.<




0 comments:

Post a Comment

your say?

 

pinkwallredfloOr Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos